Sunday, February 23, 2014

At Winter's End

Fortunately this hasn't been a bad winter - after four freak winters in a row with tons of snow, it's been back to the Rhineland's standard with very cold temperatures and bitter nights of frost but generally no snow; in fact I haven't seen a flake this year and am grateful for it as for someone depending on a bicycle for transportation,snow always is a major issue.
With the snow drops and crocuses already in blossom everywhere, spring seems close at hand now and I'm looking forward to Nature's reawakening and to new adventures out there.

Reminiscing last year's trips, I've been looking through my photos of them.
Here I am in Amsterdam at the Museum Plein, with my rented MacBike behind me. (And no, I can't ever be around anywhere without a bike!)


From Amsterdam I passed through Haarlem on the bike...


...on my way to the shores of the North Sea, about 15 miles from Amsterdam.


~~

At a later occasion, I went on a short trip to a little town called Bad Münstereifel in the nearby Eifel hills. It's just about 30 miles from home but going uphill a lot, so it takes a strong woman and a good bike. :)
I stayed two nights at a youth hostel on a hill top overlooking the picturesque town with its nice historic buildings.

Here I'm sitting on top of the tower of the ancient city wall.


Overlooking the town of Münstereifel from the tower.


And watching the sunset from the hill outside the youth hostel.


~~

And not least, there are really awesome places much closer to home, too!
Like the lakes in the woods near Brühl, just about 10 miles from here...



...as well as my beautiful Rhine river, the Seven Hills, and many more places. Can't wait for spring!


Flea market.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment