Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Serpent Fire

I've rediscovered some of my old songs lately, in particular this one, it's one of my best. You should use those things you've been given, and I guess no one but me will ever sing them.

    

    

Yes, that's my handwriting. Posting it in this way may hopefully make it harder to steal, but first of all it looks so much better and more appropriate. The title and some initials are calligraphic but the rest is my natural writing. I'm so glad to be an autodidact and to have managed to evade formal schooling, I heard that many young people my age are no longer able to write in normal, cursive handwriting because they hardly ever write at all but only type, which I think is a shame because actual writing is a skill that ought to be preserved.
There are calligraphic type fonts but I view them as still inferior since such fonts are not meant to have each letter look exactly the same.

I may start writing again, songs and poetry that is, if and when I find the time. You should use what you've been given... and it's rarely good to do too much of only one thing, especially to one like me with so many different interests, but generally it will give you a better picture of the world as a whole if you try to learn or practice many different things. It's been good to learn about science. I remember chatting with a Facebook friend some good while ago - or possibly it was even still back on Myspace - and trying to explain to him about the double slit experiment in quantum physics, which I was puzzled to learn he had never heard about. I had the impression of him as being a rather bright person, with quite some wisdom of the Left Hand Path... and the next thing he asked me was to stop right there and first explain what a photon is. I was flummoxed! He was about my age or possibly slightly older, and I thought people learn about this stuff at school or wherever along the way - how am I to tell, as I haven't had any formal education beyond elementary school myself - I simply considered it common knowledge.

Well yes, so it's been good to learn about science and I don't intend to quit, but it seems I first had to be bluntly slammed in the head with its ignorance in order to see its shortcomings and that it's very far from being able to give a realistic and fairly complete picture of the world - namely with its stubborn dogmatism and arrogant but childish denial of the existence of everything beyond its narrow scope and interpretation. Always keep in mind it's just an interpretation, and subject to the current zeitgeist and periodical paradigm shifts.

I'm still following my nuclear science course with passionate interest, especially the video lectures. What I must admit to be missing out on though is much of the recommended reading although it's provided for free - the reason is that I simply hate reading long texts on screen. Short online articles are another thing, that's to me one of the main uses of the internet, after all, and sometimes when I have the time I even read only marginally educational material mainly for entertainment - such as those drug experience reports     on the highly recommendable Erowid     site.
But generally I prefer books made of paper even though some idiots who deem themselves so up-to-date have started calling them "dead-tree books" - I sure cherish trees very much, but then simply stop already printing all those tons of superfluous advertizing on paper to simply litter the streets with, that's where paper is being wasted! But not on books containing knowledge, truly valuable information, and inspiration - those are never a waste.
Considering how little money I have I spend relatively much on books. I don't mind used ones if they're in reasonably good condition. Sometimes that's not an option though when it's some latest science books or something only few people are interested in, such as my book about plutonium   - and I always have to order online since English language books are otherwise practically unavailable in Germany.
But I think I'll buy some more by Castaneda in the near future, I like his writing and his books are not hard to obtain, I got two from eBay.

No comments:

Post a Comment