Sunday, August 31, 2014

Amsterdam Trip 2014, Part 3

Here's still some impressions from that cold and gloomy Tuesday, at least some nice street art and the (although gray) view from the top floor  of the public library building.

Het Slangenpand - I signed the petition

...but the weather didn't, on this day

Het Slangenpand

View from the library building

...7th floor

 I felt somewhat depressed that evening... but just before nightfall I caught a glimpse of the setting sun. (Ok, I rather kept staring at it...)
And lo, the next morning... here came a glorious sunrise!


 First thing after breakfast, I headed to that little open-air workout spot in the nearby park I knew.
Somewhat worried at the cirrus clouds in the sky, knowing they mean unstable weather, I thought, make the best of the nice weather while it lasts.

 
Vondelpark fountain with rainbow


 I rode to the Albert Cuyp Street Market, and then surprisingly, around noon all the cirrus clouds had vanished and the sky was a pristine blue. So I kept riding around, taking the ferry to the far side of het Ij. Sitting by the water, starved of sunshine, just staring at the dazzling reflections on it, and the elusive patterns of curving lines between them.

On the ferry



On my day of departure, another beautiful sunrise! This time it wouldn't last though; well, it did until around noon while I rode around the city once more before I had to return the bike.


The famous Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge)

1769...

Montelbaanstoren

Do they?

Houseboat, decorated with brooms :D

Heron at Vondelpark

My journey home would turn out a bit troublesome, I had to change trains 4 times (sensationally cheap ticket), but the first one to Eindhoven got delayed because apparently some moron was wandering around the rails - from what I gathered; the announcements were in Dutch - therefore I missed all my following connections and had to take later ones. But after some 6 hours, around a quarter to nine, I finally arrived at home.

Souvenirs! New gym backpack & incense.

No comments:

Post a Comment