Monday, August 26, 2019

A Pentagram fountain in Amsterdam

The latest trip to Amsterdam the other week wasn't without complications. I still managed to get to the bike rental before closing time right after my arrival, which was very positive - what's life without a bike!
But just after recording the clip at the hostel dorm though I had to find myself confronted with a bearded face there - I had been assigned to a mixed gender dorm by accident, although I had booked an all female one as usual. I felt extremely uncomfortable, much worse than expected, since I seemed to be the only girl in that dorm and some of the guys were so rude to go to bed shirtless, despite the cold weather. The next day I felt ready to go home early, and quite depressed. As I asked for a refund for the remaining two nights, the receptionist offered to move me to a female dorm though, and also a free breakfast as an apology. I accepted, since I had planned to meet up with someone the next day. Still that first night at the mixed dorm is a nightmare to remember, and frankly, by morning the room was stinking far worse than my gym ever does! At least I felt much more at ease again at the female dorm. No smell and no one sleeping topless.
Unfortunately I seemed to have picked some of the rainiest days of the summer though, and at least I had brought a rain cape and gloves, since it was very cold too.


I mostly managed to find me some breaks in the rain though, and surprisingly that first evening, the pavement next to the fountain had dried enough to comfortably sit down and eat some dinner I had bought at the supermarket, yogurt and granola bars and such. At another occasion the next day, I draped the rain cape over the bike to crouch underneath as a makeshift "tent" to eat something. LOL

The fountain consists of 20 individual spouts, each with a color-changing light. Five form a pentagon in the center, then there's 3 more on each of the 5 sides, forming the 5 points of the star.

The Pentagram fountain

Full moon above Pentagram fountain

Megalodon teeth in a shop window

I bought me some ear studs at Albert Cuyp Market

Bees on passionflower by the side of a street

Tall ship outside Scheepvaartmuseum
I had a very  nice walk from my friend's hotel back to Vondelpark on the final night, with clear skies again.

De Magere Brug at night

De Magere Brug ("Skinny Bridge")

Bike full of rubber duckies outside Knuffels store.

Souvenirs: New backpack for the gym, covered in
little sharks, & book from book exchange
at the hostel.

No comments:

Post a Comment