Sunday, July 16, 2017

Trinity Day

~ Some people laughed; some people cried; most people were silent.
~ Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
(Robert Oppenheimer about Trinity Test.)

On this day 72 years ago, the sun rose twice at White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico.
That first sunrise at 5:29 AM was the birth of the Atomic Age.

That was more than 40 years before I was born, but worth commemorating. I'd have liked to have a piece of Trinitite, that green glass the desert sand was turned into by the immense heat of the Trinity explosion.
They're still around, those Trinitites, but then again, I wouldn't even have a Geiger counter to ascertain it's real.

I do have reading material, of course!

I just found a cool video about the Trinity Site. I'd totally wear such a "Radioactive Materials" shirt! :D




(I don't know why they show only the photo of that Fat Man bomb casing for nearly 3 minutes at the end, actual video ends after minute 6.)

Found another beautiful nuke test compilation! (The first one is fake though, trust me, I know.)
Couldn't find a direct link, when I search for nuclear explosions etc., there's just tons of video game Scheiße coming up. Games are stupid, I want the real thing. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment