Saturday, April 6, 2019

Carrots for the muskrats

Having a day off regular workout once more, I decided to ride to the Rheinaue Park again, bringing some carrots for the muskrats whom I lately discovered to have made a home there.
The Rheinaue is really nice, reminding a bit of Vondelpark in Amsterdam, with its ponds and a multitude of water fowl species using it as a permanent or temporary home, but the Rheinaue is a lot vaster with much more open spaces, it includes a section of the Rhine riverside, and the southernmost of three bridges across the Rhine river within the city limits of Bonn also crosses the park.


Canada geese and other species of wild geese can be seen sharing the lawns with people.
And here come the muskrats!



This one quickly gobbles up a carrot I gave him.

The swans were even less shy and came really close.

Right next to my bike.
At one point I overheard a passerby saying to his companion, "Those things can be damn aggressive," as in warning them to stay away from the animals, but I'm not sure whether he was referring to the muskrats or the swans. Swans are known to aggressively defend their territory, and a few were hissing angrily at times, both at the muskrats and at a guy's dog, and especially that brown and white mottled swan seemed to be very dominant and chased some of the others at times. He and one or two others stayed right next to me.
A couple with a little boy were also nearby, the boy was about 4 years old, and at one point the mother lifted him up and carried him when two of the swans were coming too threateningly close, standing taller than the boy.
I was sorry to have nothing for the swans, but I wouldn't know what to feed them. Many people feed them bread, but I learned this is really bad for them and can have devastating health consequences for birds.

The boss. LOL Object to the left is the handle of my bike.


One muskrat is still gobbling a carrot, the other one
coming back for more. 
The muskrats were also quite aggressive once they learned there was something to be had, they came right up to me and would walk their forefeet up my leg. And once they grabbed hold of a carrot there was no chance to get it back. It was quite astounding how strong these little creatures are! When I didn't have a carrot they would at times come clawing and grabbing my fingers with both their agile little paws and  their orange colored rodent teeth.

My foot in bottom left.

Here's another cute hell-rat. I was sorry to have run out
of carrots so quickly.


Then I saw these wild geese (ducks?) with their fluffy
little chicks.

Goslings.
Cute, how the one to the far left raised its stubby little wings.

The gray geese also had goslings.
Proud parents. One of the couple of gray geese - presumably the father? - aggressively chased some other adult geese out of the way as the couple walked their four goslings to the water.
A lot of other people were also taking photos, and some were BBQ'ing in the park. It was a really nice afternoon, but to me it quickly got very cold at barely 60 F.

No comments:

Post a Comment